Frequently Asked Questions

Please click the question to show answers below.


How do I file a complaint?

A complaint must be filed using the complaint form (here). If you have already emailed the office with a summary of your complaint, you do not need to resubmit that information, but you do need to submit the formal complaint form in addition. Please be sure to include your most up to date contact information because staff and investigators will need to get in touch with you regarding your complaint.

What is the complaint process like?

The complaint process can seem overwhelming, but we have developed a consumer complaint process handout (here) that can answer most of your questions regarding the complaint process. If you still have questions or would like an update regarding the status of your case, please reach out to our office staff at (775) 688-1788 or email us at

Can I be awarded money from the Board if they find against the licensee that treated my pet?

While we understand that veterinary care may be expensive, the Board does not have the jurisdiction to award money to be paid to a consumer as a result of a disciplinary finding. Any filing of a complaint in which you would want to receive money from a Nevada licensee regarding the treatment of a pet would have to be done through small claims court in your county.


How do I request a letter of good standing?

All requests for letters of good standing to be sent to another state can be emailed to Please ensure that you include the mailing address of the jurisdiction you want to receive your letter. There is no cost to sending a letter of good standing.

How can I get a copy of my license?

If you require the large blue wall certificate that you would have received upon your initial licensure, you will need to contact our office at (775)688-1788 to make a $10.00 payment for a reprint to be mailed. If you require a new wallet card, which is updated annually to show your new expiration date, please submit an email to to request a new PDF to be emailed to you. There is no cost to receive a wallet card.

When do I first need continuing education after being licensed?

New licensees are not required to have earned continuing education for their first renewal. For example, if a person is licensed in September 2018, he or she would not need to have earned approved continuing education in order to renew their license by the December 31st deadline. However, they will need to earn CE during the following year to renew.

What is approved for CE in Nevada?

As listed in NAC 638.042, a course of continuing education shall be deemed to be approved by the Board if the course is provided or approved by:

1.  The American Veterinary Medical Association;

2.  A specialty group of the American Veterinary Medical Association;

3.  The Western Veterinary Conference, the Wild West Veterinary Conference or any other regional veterinary conference;

4.  The State Department of Agriculture;

5.  The United States Department of Agriculture;

6.  The American Animal Hospital Association;

7.  The American Association of Veterinary State Boards;

8.  The Nevada Veterinary Medical Association;

9.  An institution of the Nevada System of Higher Education;

10.  A school of veterinary medicine that is accredited by the Council on Education of the American Veterinary Medical Association; or

11.  A program for veterinary technicians that is approved by the Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities of the American Veterinary Medical Association.

When do I renew my license?

All licenses expire each year on December 31. Licenses must be renewed on or before December 31 to be renewed without late fee. There is a grace period for renewal that ends the last day of February. However, on the first of both January and February, a $50.00 late fee will be added to the renewal fee. On and after March 1, licenses will be forfeit and must complete a reinstatement application and any other requirements to obtain a license.

Where can I look for CE?

Do you have links for CE in specific topics?


Where can I see my application status?

Applicants can view the status of their application, including documents that have been received by our office by logging in here:

Why do you need a transcript when I already submitted one to take my national exam?

The organizations that arrange for national testing are not associated with our licensing Board. Any documents that are submitted to the ICVA or AAVSB for testing are for those organization's use. We require a separate and official copy to be either mailed or emailed to our office.

Does the Board have reciprocity with any other states?

No, Nevada does not have formal reciprocity with any other states for licensure. Reciprocity involves a formal agreement between two states that licensure between the states can be granted with verification of the applicant’s status as a licensee in on of the reciprocal states. Most licensees, however, are licensed by endorsement.

What is the Species Specific Exam, and do I need to take it?

The Species Specific Exam is a test that is administered by the International Council for Veterinary Assessment (ICVA). The exam is only administered to licensees that have not taken the NAVLE or NBE/CCT within 5 years of applying to Nevada and have disciplinary action in another state. Information can be obtained here: Diplomates are not required to take the SSE regardless of when they took the national exam.   

How do I sign up for the NAVLE (veterinarian applicants)?

The NAVLE is the national exam for veterinarians that is accepted for Nevada licensure. The test is administered by the ICVA (International Council for Veterinary Assessment), and information can be obtained here: 

How do I sign up for the VTNE (LVT applicants)?

The VTNE is the national exam for licensed veterinary technicians that is accepted for Nevada licensure. The test is administered by the AAVSB (American Association for Veterinary State Boards), and information can be obtained here:

Do I need to complete the qualification list for my LVT application?

The qualification list for LVT applicants should only be submitted if you have not attended an AVMA accredited veterinary technician program. Per Nevada law, a VTIT that has received a Bachelor of Science degree in an area related to an animal science or in another area approved by the Board

What is a veterinary technician in training (VTIT)?

A VTIT is a person registered with the Board who may perform the tasks of a veterinary technician under the immediate supervision of a supervising veterinarian or licensed veterinary technician. The VTIT registrant must be a fourth-year student enrolled in a 4-year program or a second-year student enrolled in a 2-year program that is accredited by the AVMA. Additionally, a VTIT can be registered if he/she has completed a Bachelor of Science in an animal science related field. If a VTIT has a BS, they are required to obtain 4,000 hours of supervised clinical experience to fulfill the educational requirement for LVT licensure. Please see the VTIT application page for more information.

How is a veterinary technician in training (VTIT) different than a licensed veterinary technician (LVT)?

A VTIT can perform the same scope of practice as an LVT, but all activities must be done under the immediate supervision of a licensed veterinarian.

How long does it take to get licensed?

The Board and its administrative staff strive to expedite the licensure process. Once applications are complete, the office staff will issue a license by mail within 3-5 business days. The issuance of the license will also be accompanied by an email with your licensure information which can be used to practice until the paper license arrives by mail.

What qualifies as an ‘official’ document?

Depending on the document, an official document generally means that it is being provided directly from the issuing institution. The following documents must be official in order to fulfill the application requirement:


Transcripts: must be sent (emailed or mailed) directly from the issuing school by mail or email

Test scores: must be sent (emailed or mailed) directly to the Board office from the test administrators (AAVSB or ICVA)

Letters of Good standing: must be sent directly from the issuing state by mail or email from the issuing state.